Creating With Photoshop


     I think I’m at my most creative when I don’t put any expectations on myself. That can be difficult at times when I think whatever I do has to be the greatest thing ever or if I've been hired to be creative. My thoughts usually go something like this; “Okay I’ve got to be creative now. Think. Think! THINK!” Of course, no matter what your discipline, there are plenty of Zen ways to get down to the creative bone. I won't get into those ways here though, I'll just share how Photoshop helps me create some cool looking photos.
     When I started taking photos a few years back, I only used Photoshop to clean up the photo. Removing blemishes, fixing those wild hairs, erasing scuff marks from the seamless background and other things like that. But after a while I started get board with just  regular looking photos. I wanted to do something different and Photoshop was definitely a tool I could use to help me achieve that. I started to manipulate the colors, add different textures, experiment with the blending modes, while at the same time learning the vastness of Photoshop. There were also many times where I would wake up from a restless sleep, go to the computer and just start working on a photo without having any real idea of what I wanted. Here's an example from a recent photo-shoot where I had done a little midnight editing.

Paris Original & Trojan Orginal in costumes designed by Louise DeLenge 
     Lily Verlaine and Jasper McCann hired me to take some head-shot photos of performers in their shows. A few of them were in costumes like Paris Original and Trojan Original, from the The Countess of Coffee act from Land of The Sweets: The Burlesque Nutcracker. I was only set-up for head-shots so shooting these full costumes wouldn’t work with the narrow seamless back ground. But I took a few wide shot photos anyway. Later on at home, I kept looking at the photo. I loved the poses of Paris & Trojan and the beautiful costumes designed by Louise DeLenge of Teatro Zinzanni. Eventually I asked myself how could I make this photo work. First, I went through the thankless task of separating them from the background. Then I just started experimenting. I added different textures and backgrounds. I played around with the hue, saturation and luminance. I added some vignette effects and voilá, a really neat looking photo.
The above photo with windows, light stands, etc., before Photoshop 
     There's no end to the possibilities in Photoshop (and Adobe Lightroom). And when all the noise leaves my head, I can create something great and have fun with the process. Now I just have to remember to keep my shoulders back, not slouch and try to get up from my chair every hour or so.
     Here’s a few more photos that I’ve also toiled over at 3 in the morning.
Jesse Belle-Jones in an outtake from The Coral Chain 

Mafia Minx 

Seraphina Fiero 

Roxie Moxie 

EmpeROAR Fabulous

 Juwana Heart, Holly Pop & Ivy D’Vine 

Crystal Tassels

the Luminous Pariah 

Iva Handfull in one of my favorite photo-shopped photos ever.
Inspired by the artist Patrick Nagle 


                                                       All photos © Paul O'Connell  

No comments:

Apartment Sale

Help me fund my next adventure by coming to my apartment sale. Saturday October 5th and  Sunday Oct 6th 10:00 AM-4PM both days at 500 S Cong...