From Kings to King

Thinking about Seattle

Photos of My First Year in Seattle 

     Our plane touched down at Sea-Tac airport around 11:35 p.m. on May 31st, 2003. I was exhausted and excited. Carla, an ex-girlfriend, came with me to help me move out to Seattle. She really came to be a cat wrangler. Apparently when you travel by air there is a "one pet per person" policy. And since I had two cats, Pixie and Pollo, there had to be another person to be in charge of one of them. I really felt bad for my cats because by that time they had been in their cat carriers for about 7 hours and they were not having a good time. We went to get our luggage, pick-up the rental car I reserved and hopped on 1-5 north towards Seattle. We made our way to the Olive Way exit which led us to the Capitol Hill neighborhood. We turned left on Harvard Ave E and made it to The Marlene Renee apartments, my new home. After we brought everything inside and freed the cats, I went to the QFC a block a way to get a few supplies. The air was cool and thick with the smell of sweet flowers and I was very happy that this was my new home.

Carla and I at the top of the Space Needle
       The first time I was ever in Seattle was in 1995. I only went because a friend of mine who had just been there thought I might like it and suggested that I go. I had a week's vacation and didn't have a plan for anything else. It was also a great opportunity to escape my job as equipment manager in an NYC film equipment rental house and my life in the borough of Brooklyn aka Kings county. I also marveled at the fact that it would be the first time I would be out of the eastern time zone. The trip was a blast. There was a day trip to Mt Rainier, the beauty of the Pike Place Market, coffee shops and funky vintage stores. The trip was around labor day so it was also Bumbershoot time. "What the hell was a bumbershoot?!" I yelled. "It's an umbrella.", they said. It was also an annual international music and arts festival. That event was highlighted by seeing the Reverend Horton Heat inspire a crazy ass mosh-pit. I stayed in a youth hostel on Capitol Hill, which turned out to be full of internationals. There were the two down-on-their-luck Austrians, the four birds from Britain and a couple from South Korea. There was also the creepy guy from Colorado who I caught watching some of the British ladies sleep in the coed hostel. Aside from the creeper, Seattle became a place I always had in the back of my head as a place to possibly live one day.

My first Seattle home. The Marlene Renee Apartments on Capitol Hill
     I had been employed at Oxygen Media in NYC when in August of 2002 the show I was working on as a video editor got cancelled. I had been really thinking about a change for a few years at that point anyway so I thought maybe I'd give Seattle a go. Oxygen Media had been the best place I had ever worked(it still is I think) especially in terms of benefits. It was on 75 Ninth Ave at the old Nabisco company in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan. There was a gourmet sandwich shop there that served a warm tomato, avocado and mozzarella sandwich that I still think about from time to time. I could be on a bus totally zoning out and I'll think, “Oh yeah, that sandwich.” Anyway after I was laid off, it didn't look like there would be any other prospects at Oxygen and after working free-lance for a few months, I decided in December of that year that 1st of June 2003 would be the day I would move to Seattle aka King County.

hangin' out at the international fountain
     The idea was that I would save as much as I could and try to find a job before I move. I also would have to get rid of a lot of junk I had held on to for years. The money saving didn't work out that well, nor did getting a job but I did mange to buy a digital camera. I had wanted a camera for years but never got one. When I was a kid about 7 or 8, I spent one summer taking all kinds of photographs but after that I never pursued it further other than a few times when I found myself with some friend's cameras for a week or two. I always though it would be a good idea to have a camera with me at all times so I could take photos when I saw something I thought worthy of a pic. So I finally got a camera, a simple point and click, which would help me chronicle my adventure. Since the money saving didn't go so well, I had hoped to sell a bunch of furniture and other stuff that would be impractical to take 3,000 miles across the country. Goodbye wooden sleigh bed. I imagined my pockets stuffed with cash but alas that was not to be either. I guess though I had enough money to get me through for a while. I was sure I would get a job in a few weeks after arriving in Seattle.

The Space Needle from Volunteer Park
     It was the day of the move, May 31st, 2003. Throughout the whole moving experience I never had any doubts or second guessed myself that this was the right thing to do. After living in Brooklyn most of my life(I did some time in The Bronx, South Jersey, Connecticut and Valley Stream) I was ready for a new life. My aunt picked Carla and I up with the 2 kitties from my Bay Ridge apartment to take us to Kennedy Airport. Along the way on the Belt Parkway we passed Starrett City in Brooklyn, where I grew up and lived for 15 years. I reflected only for a second, especially since Pollo had just peed in her carrier and hence, on Carla. When we got the airport I cleaned up Pollo, and checked all the bags. Now all that we had to do was go through the whole TSA deal and get on the plane. When we got to the metal detector, the TSA agent said I had to take the cats out of their carriers and carry them through the detector. Both cats did not like to be picked up. Add to that the fact that they were freaking the fuck out because that had no idea what was happening to them, I had visions of things going very wrong. I imagined that I would pick up Pixie and she would squirm and claw her way out of my arms and then I would try to run after her. At this time there was still a heavy presence of police with huge automatic machine guns ready to take any body out who might be a problem. I imagined I would run after Pixie and they would run after me. The airport would be put on lock-down and I would die in a hail of bullets. But of course that did not happen and both Pixie and Pollo went through the metal detector with out incident. Seattle here we come.

Pollo & Pixie relieved to be out of their cat carriers
     Carla stayed with me a few days so we did some sightseeing. Space Needle, Pike Place Market, Gas Works Park, the typical stuff. Also she helped me get a used queen sized bed from Dixon's on 12th & Pine. Other that a few essentials I brought with me on the plane, all my other things: computer, kitchen stuff, books etc., I had shipped via UPS and would arrive in a few weeks. I really didn't think about what I'd do about the bed situation but after one night on the floor a bed was the first thing I really needed to get. Put it on the card. A few days later I dropped Carla off at the airport along with the rental car and now I would really begin my Seattle life in my beautiful loft apartment with 18 foot ceilings. Or was it 20? Or maybe 16? Who knows. There's nothing like experiencing a new city you've just moved to. The new stores, restaurants, buses and all the things that will eventually become routine are exciting as you experience them the first few times. I loved exploring each new block. I was pretty wide-eyed. One of the first things I did after Carla left was visit Vivace's Coffee stand, which I could see from my widow. One of the few friends I knew in Seattle told me about it and said it was pretty damn good coffee. I asked the barista for a coffee. He said they didn't have drip and suggested that I try an Americano, so I did. I was as excited as Agent Cooper to tell him how much I enjoyed that Americano. At that moment I became a coffee snob. I eventually became a regular at that stand and became friendly with that barista, Brian. Sadly he passed away in September of 2011 in a bicycle accident. There were a few outside tables at the stand and they proved to be a great people watching spot on all my morning and afternoon coffee runs(sometimes with a muffin) which I just would put on the card. I didn't do all to well in finding a job in that first few weeks. But at least I did get my 20 boxes of stuff delivered by UPS so my place was becoming more of a home. I did have to get a few chairs to sit in. Put it on the card. I was meeting people and still excited for things to come. When you entered my apartment the kitchen was immediately to the right. A few paces ahead on the left was the staircase that goes up to my bedroom and further past that was the living room. I had already gotten into the habit of putting magazines I would recycle on the staircase. The idea being that when I would leave my place, the magazines would be about chest height, I would notice them and take them with me to recycle. One day leaving the magazine there proved to be the worst thing I could have done.

Those stairs-Pixie is about where I left the magazine
     It was a Friday. No success on any job leads so I went to hang-out a bit at Vivace's. I was already becoming familiar with some of the neighborhood passers-by. I went to the Fred Meyer that used to be in the Broadway Market, now occupied by QFC, because I thought I should have a set of steak knives. Put it on the card. I came home and went the bathroom, which is up the stairs in the loft. After I was done I started walking down the stairs and I saw the cats sleeping so adorably above the stairs in the little nook, which seems to have been made especially for an upright dresser. As I was walking down the stairs and continuing to look up at my sleeping pets, my right foot slipped on a magazine I had placed there to eventually recycle. I often wonder when I think back at this incident, how high my body actually got before my left foot came crashing down a few steps below. The immediate sensation was like a punch right between the eyes, with a blinding white light and I'm sure I heard the phrase FUCK YOU! at the time as well. I ended up a the bottom of the stairs. Now I had a goal of going throughout my life with out breaking any bones. That was over for surely I had some broken bones. In fact I was hesitant to look down at the great pain emanating from my left ankle for fear I would be seeing some bones poking through my skin. I looked down and there were no bones peaking through. I was immediately relieved. Despite the tremendous pain and the quick swelling, I felt I would be okay. But of course I needed to get to the hospital. I banged on my neighbor's door. I don't know why I did this, there was no answer anyway. I had my cell phone so I called 911. Pretty quickly EMT's and firefighters were at my door. As they carried me out on the gurney, I noticed their big fire truck along with the ambulance. Such a fuss for me? We rode the mile or two to Swedish Hospital. I expected to get some pain medication immediately but they don't give out pain-meds until after the X-rays due to the fact that junkies and pill heads fake broken bones and such to get said pain-meds. Taking the X-rays really hurt as the technician turned my leg to get the best angle. Prognosis: trimalleolar fracture y'all. So I finally got my percocets or vicadin and before I knew it I awoke with my leg in a cast. Well that was the end of my first month in in Seattle.

2 days after my accident at the Pride Parade
     I needed surgery which required doctors to permanently put plates and screws in my leg to keep my bones together. I was also full of pain medication that month. I was nodding out like Keith Richards and waking up to really weird songs filled with bizarre imagery like "Night on The Sun" by Modest Mouse. There was also the Blue Angels incident. I was passed out on my futon(a nice find on craiglist) and awoke to what I thought were planes about to crash into my building. I looked out my window but everything seemed okay. I turned on the internet and found out that the Blue Angels were practicing for Seafair (an annual summer festival in Seattle) Why didn't anyone tell about these LOUD Blue Angels? I spent the days hobbling on my crunches over to Vivace's and also hanging out at Scream barbershop, where my new friend, Heather worked as a stylist. Scream was closer than Vivace's and it too offered for some ample people watching. As far as any job prospects went, they were non-existent. I had absolutely zero dollars coming in. All my groceries and Americanos were put on the card. Thank god I still had COBRA to take car of my medical bills or it really would have been crazy. But despite all of this financial chaos, I was not worried. In fact I remember saying to myself that it's weird that I'm not worried about the dire financial situation I was in. Maybe it was because I started dating somebody, Cynthia. Maybe it was because I was still very excited about my future in Seattle. Maybe I was just high on all the drugs I was taking for my leg. Whatever it was, I did not worry. I have not felt freedom like that since.

Cynthia-Maybe my first photo-shoot
     It was August and I was able to getting a walking boot, which of course was much better that crutches. I was hanging out with Cynthia and she was showing me Seattle. She took me to the Ballard locks and educated me on the salmon at the fish ladder that was there. She took me swimming in Lake Washington and we went to places outside of Seattle like La Conner. It was all very exciting. I continued to look for any jobs in video editing but no luck. My dad and aunt had sent me some money. It wasn't a lot but of course anything helped. One day when I was at Top Pot Doughnuts putting a little treat on the card, I noticed a help wanted sign in their window asking for a doughnut maker. I immediately romanticized this and thought this would be a good idea. I blame the drugs. I met the woman who was the supervisor. She told me she liked to have fun. I have found that when people say they like to have fun in a serious manner, they don't really like to have fun. She told me to show up at their downtown store on 5th Ave at 7 p.m. to make the doughnuts. The idea that I would be working all night long didn't register. Again, the drugs. The night crew were all at least 10 years younger than me and probably in bands or in college. For the rest of the night we made doughnuts, filling out the orders while the fun supervisor would occasionally scold the young doughnut makers for their mistakes. After we filled all the orders and were all tired, it was time to clean up everything. I realized then that this sucked. This is a job I could not do. And it was because I could not work overnight. I had a job once as a cashier at a parking garage at the end of Houston Street in NYC years earlier that was the graveyard shift and I could never get used to it. I should have remembered this when I first saw the help wanted sign. Also I was on my feet all night. I still had my walking boot and my left leg was not happy. So it was not to be. I did leave with as many doughnuts as I wanted though. So now what? I went to temp agencies, hoping to find anything. One of them hooked me up with a job that was only on Sundays. It was a job a monkey could do. It was at Real Networks and the job involved the NFL. Basically it was to listen to an NFL game they were broadcasting over the internet. The feed was coming from the particular home team's local radio broadcast. Every time there was a commercial it was my job to pad down the audio until the game came back on. In other words they didn't want the local commercials broadcast across the internet. I'm sure there is software that can do this now. Unbeknownst to me, another friend from Brooklyn, Andy, was working at Real Networks. About 5 weeks into the monkey job, he suggested that I should be the one to fill in the open broadcast operator position. A broadcast operator is in charge of connecting different clients to the internet and broadcasting their programing across it. I took that job. It was a contracted, full time job. I finally had a good, decent paying job after three months of nothing. And so I was on my way.

At Real Networks broadcast operatin' 'n' shit
     I continued to date Cynthia and work at Real Networks. My walking boot cast was gone and I had done some rehab for my leg. I had a good first Seattle Christmas and I was able to pay bills and eventually pay down that “put it on the card” debt. The following year saw more new experiences. Cynthia and I broke-up and I had to leave Real Networks because of some law about how long a contractor can work at a company. I was initially bummed about having to leave but right after that, I got my first video editing job at a place called Screaming Flea Productions, where I ended up working over the next 8 years, sometimes full-time, sometimes free-lance. I was able to get rid of all that first year debt and eventually got some new debt with a condo I bought in the free-wheelin' neighborhood of Fremont. But most importantly in early 2005  I was introduced to the wonderful world of burlesque. My friend, who went by the stage name, Ruby Caliente, had asked me to take photos at The Academy of Burlesque recital she was in. I was hooked immediately. I eventually started to shoot a lot of live burlesque shows and got involved in studio photography. And then of course I started to meet all these fabulous burlesque people. The rest, as they say, is history. I would have never imagined the life I have today and the wonderful people in it before I moved to Seattle. Some ways it's just as normal as any other life. Ups and downs, new girlfriends and break-ups, vacations, losing jobs, getting new ones, the passing of good friends and pets(rip Pixie and Pollo). On the other hand, it's full of magical, glittery wonder. I really do have gratitude in the life I have today and all the future possibilities it holds. So here's to the next ten years.

What Seattle has done to me, and I'm so happy


                             Photos of My First Year in Seattle 

xoxo

No comments:

Creating in Photoshop (European Version)

   As the title suggests,  the photos that are the subject of this post are ones I took on a recent European trip earlier this year. This is...